Me: "Here's a confirmation for that fax you sent earlier."
Ponytail: "Only one page?"
Me: "Yeah, it prints out only the first page of your fax with the confirmation there at the top."
Ponytail: "Okay, no problem."
Didn't ask if this was a problem for you, Ponytail.
Now, I know this sounds over-reactive but it's a phrase he uses in all his conversational exchanges even though it comes off a bit rude in most. To me. Maybe to you too. To me, it makes him sound as if he thinks everyone should be apologizing to him.

Via.
Another irritating one is those small phrases people overly use, like "and the other thing is..." which isn't so bad, I guess, until you work with the lady who uses it in statements like, "He was a really great speaker and the other thing is he really made you interested in what he was saying." Actually, lady, those two ideas are the same. A semi-colon there in place of your catch-all phrase would work super well. Super well!

Via.
I think I probably pay too much attention to how I come off socially and I probably shouldn't worry because people just aren't paying attention, that's all. Nothing personal. I mind my manners and make sure to be polite, cheerful, and funny as often as I can when I am out in the world. Makes everything nicer, I say.
Recently I've had a rash of cashiers who do not address me in any way during our transaction. No smile, no nod, no "hello," no nothing. Next time, I am going to ask, "Are you alright?" and if they wonder why I'm asking I'll tell them, "You seem like you're having a bad day." How can you get mad at a stranger concerned with your well-being?

Via.
0 comments:
Post a Comment